How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi, Ive been working in Kuwait in since last July (2013) with

This answer was rated:

Hi, I've been working in Kuwait in since last July (2013) with only 4 weeks in the UK on rest and visa renewal. I am likely to continue to work in Kuwait until June this year (2014). During this period I have been on PAYE and paid UK tax. Can I claim a partial tax refund?

Thanks for your question

I am afraid as your employment abroad will not last over a period that spans one full tax year, that you will not be due any tax refund, and will be treated as resident in the UK throughout the whole period, and therefore liable to UK tax.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I were to continue in Kuwait until the end of January 2015, would I be able to claim refund for whole of previous year?


No it would have to last past 05/04/2015 for you to be considered as not resident and subsequently free of UK tax.

If this is the case then you can either
1) Complete form P85 now, in advance do HMRC can issue code NT to operate from now on in, against this UK employment OR
2) Wait until after 05/04/2015, for HMRC to review the whole period from July 2013 to the date you finally return to the UK

But for either case, HMRC will ask you to complete a self assessment tax return at each year end (so 05/04/2014 and 05/04/2015)


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you