How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have received a letter from Tax office they want to know

Customer Question

I have received a letter from Tax office they want to know why I have not filed any tax returns for past six years. They say I have been working as a driving instructor which is partly true as I have done some work but have kept no records. This is due to suffering from depression and caring for my elderly parents who have now passed away leaving me a inheritance. What is my best course of action. Thanks. Andy
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.
Hi Andy

Thanks for your question

With the providing driving instruction, did you work just for yourself, or was this affiliated with another driving school?

Were you paid cash or cheques or a mix of both, and did you use your own car, was it a specialist car? Did you pay cash for the fuel and running costs of the car
Did you advertise - how was this paid?

I ask all these questions, just to help you gather at least some information together - I would then recommend that you seek the services of a local accountant to
1) create estimated accounts for you
2) Liaise with HMRC to explain the delay on the self assessment returns, and also detailing how difficult matters have been for you over this period of time, but that you want to address this matter and also advise a time by which they feel the returns can be sent in
3) negotiate any penalties that are charged to reduce them to as a little as possible.

This also then releases further stress on you - and as long as you sit before you have a meeting with any accountant detailing what you can, gathering any bank statements, or any other evidence of monies in and out, then this will make the accountants job easier, and will also cut down on his charges and time.

It would be well worth the money to take this forward. Most of all do not worry, I have had clients with many returns outstanding (one had not completed them for 10 years and a recent one is 8 years! and many of 4/5/6 years !) and like you have scant records - and its always possible to establish what has come in, by also looking at personal outgoings and commitments - so just be as honest as you can with any accountant.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions



Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

let me know If you need any further advise is getting paperwork ready - as this will save you further time and money