How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Do I have to pay tax on money my brother-in-law has inherited

This answer was rated:

Do I have to pay tax on money my brother-in-law has inherited from his father, some of which he wants to pass on to me as the widow of his brother. I was not named in my father-in-law's will.

You won't have to pay any tax on a gift to you by your brother-in-law. As far as your brother in law is concerned, he will be making a potentially exempt transfer which means that if he lives for at least seven years after the gift is made, its value won't be included in his estate for Inheritance Tax purposes. Take a look here for information on who pays Inheritance Tax.

It is also possible to change a will by executing a deed of variation which you can read about here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would this apply to an amount of £43,000 ? I want to pass about £10,000 out of this amount on to each of my two sons, so will they have to pay anything either ?

There will be no tax to pay on any of the sums you mention.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much indeed for your help. I am very grateful.

Kind regards.


Keep a record of the gift to you and the gifts you make to your children.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you