How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5146
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

To the Tax Advisor, I run a small Property Company with 16

This answer was rated:

To the Tax Advisor,
I run a small Property Company with 16 properties.
There are 2 Directors, myself and my wife. We each hold 100 shares, Total of 200 shares.
As we are aged 68 we want to transfer 20% of our shares to out two daughters, that is 10% each, using a share holders agreement, will there be any Tax to pay on this share transfer?
Thanking You, Ivor Jackson, Newland Properties.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

There will be a chargeable gain on transfer of shares to your daughters.

You will both be entitled to your gains annual allowance of £10,900 each and the rest will be chargeable to CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of both depending on your total income in the tax year transfer takes place.

The gain will be based on the difference between the nominal vale of the shares in the company ( the price you paid when shares were allotted to you) and the value of the shares now based on current valuation of the company. It is important you have proper valuation done by your accountant as your company is "unlisted" i.e. a private company.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you