How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I own a property in Spain thro a UK limited company. I have

This answer was rated:

I own a property in Spain thro a UK limited company.
I have considerable CGT losses in thr UK I am carrying foward.
If I die before my wife and she inherits my propery can she offset any gain in value when she sells against my Capital Gains Tax losses.

I'm afraid that when an individual dies, their accrued capital losses die with them. The exception to that is where losses are incurred in the year of death. If they cannot be used against gains made in the same tax year, they can be carried back up to three years. Take a look here for more information. Realised capital losses cannot be passed or left to a spouse.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you