How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I inherited a 25% share of a property from my father when he

This answer was rated:

I inherited a 25% share of a property from my father when he died. My sister also inherited 25% of the same property. She has been buying my share since 2008 when she moved into the property. She has one payment to go. The 25% share has increased from £100k to £203,125 and so there is a gain of £103,125. Please could you tell me whether I have to pay Capital Gains tax, how much and when it is due?
Thank you

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Technically, you should have reported the gain on every occasion you transferred a percentage of your share of the property to your sister unless the agreement was that property would be transferred on receipt of the last instalment and that date is now.

If you have lived in the family home all the time as your main residence (from when it was transferred to you on the demise of your father) then you would be able to claim private residence relief against your share of the gain.

If on the other hand, this is not your main residence and it is a second home/investment property, then the gain would be chargeable to CGT. You would get gains annual allowance against it and the balance would be chargeable to CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of both depending on your total income in the year of sale.

Here are some calculations assuming the whole gain is chargeable to CGT

CGT calculations
Sale proceeds£203,125
Cost price£100,000
Potential capital gain£103,125
Tax year 2013-14
Gains chargeable to CGT103,125
Annual Gains exempt allowance10,900
Chargeable gain92,225
CGT calculation
If income after personal allowances is >£32,010
then CGT on gain is taxed at 28%£25,823
If income after personal allowances is less than
£32,010 then some gain will be taxed at 18%
and the balance at 28% - see example below
Assume income after allowances is
(20,000-9,440) = £10,560
Chargeable gain taxed at 18%21,450
Chargeable gain taxed at 28%70,775



Due date of payment of CGT is outlined under Key deadlines of "What to report to HMRC for Capital gains Tax" here



I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.