How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi I am living abroad but working in the uk, and was told

This answer was rated:

I am living abroad but working in the uk, and was told i might be able not to pay full income tax on what i earn as i only work here for about 8-9 months of the year, do you have any information on this which might help make it clearer to me or even if this is right
many thanks
m wilcox
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Please advise if you are a UK citizen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i am

In general terms you are liable to UK tax on your earnings. To avoid tax you may not spend more than 91 days in the UK per annum. Do you by any chance work on oil or gas rigs? If you left the UK permanently to live abroad did you complete a P85? If not, you should do so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I left the uk about 8 years ago and at the time did not know about letting the tax office know we were leaving. and i have left the uk permanently,

I work as a live in carer where by i work 8 weeks here and go home for 4 weeks then back again for another 8 weeks and so on

I am sure that HMRC will regard you as domiciled and resident in the UK. You will almost certainly be liable to UK tax on your earnings. Have you been making annual self assessment returns?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have a uk address and i do pay uk tax, but i do not make annual self assessment tax returns as i work for a company and not my self

If you have income upon which you have not been taxed then it is your responsibility to self assess. Self assessment to everybody, employed, self employed, not employed, retired etc. You cannot just say that HMRC did not send you a form. If you fail to self assess you may be subject to penalties. Your company who, with the best will in the world, can only deduct tax on PAYE on data supplied by HMRC and if that data is wrong then you could be in difficulties.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so what should the next step be, and could i be paying less tax at the end of it

I very much doubt it, you spend too much time in the UK each year. HMRC might, and I only say might, allow you to be taxed on the proportion of time you spend in the UK per annum, but you are well over the time limit and with the best will in the world I don't think they will allow it..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so do i need to do a self assesment tax return even though i am an employee

Not necessarily, a large proportion of the population never have to, but if you have income which has not been taxed then you must self assess. The PAYE system was designed in the 40s to make wherever possible employees tax neutral at the year end. These days small discrepancies are merely carried forward to the next tax year.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I pay tax on all that i earn, but would i be able to claim a tax rebate at any time, and also is there anything that a expat could claim for?

You will only pay tax as per PAYE and if your tax code is incorrect not enough or too much tax will be deducted. What about investment income?

The best money spinner on the tax deductible front in the UK is private pension schemes. You may invest up to 100% of your salary in these up to a limit of 50K this tax year, 40K next. If you work very quickly you could just get this year in, but you have but 3 days from Monday. These top slice your income at the highest levels of tax. Other than those the only really viable deductions are subscriptions to professional institutes, but they are small beer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a form which i can fill in to find out if i might be allowed to pay tax on the time i am here,

The P85 which you didn't complete when you left the UK starts that process. You can don load one from the net.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.