How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have moved to the uk more than a year ago. I am here to stay.

This answer was rated:

I have moved to the uk more than a year ago. I am here to stay. I moved here so that i could live here with my wife to be. She has english ancestry and will be eligible for a uk passport. We are renting at the moment and would like to purchase a flat with my savings from germany. Will i have to pay tax when i bring the money into the uk?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Nice and easy for you, you won't have to pay UK tax to bring your own capital into the UK. Once here, if it earns interest then that interest will be liable to UK Income Tax. The only cost to you will be the appropriate fees charged by the banks for the transfer.

I do hope I have helped you with your problem.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Keith,
Thanks for your reply. Thatis what i was hoping to read. So there is no remittance tax for me? I canconsider myself being domiciled in this case?
Thanks andall the very best.
Thank you for your support.
Sorry, just noticed you actually asked two questions I did not cover.

We don't have a remittance tax as such in the UK, although transfer of large sums may be checked by the authorities as a precaution against money laundering.

Domicile is actually quite difficult to achieve, takes about 1 years of residence before one is considered domiciled! You will definitely be classed as resident now though.