How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I bought a cottage for £158k (not my principle residence).

This answer was rated:

I bought a cottage for £158k (not my principle residence). I now wish to sell a half share to my brother for £150k . The property has been valued at £300k. I have spent £70k on renovation. Do I set half the cost ie: £79k plus £35k against the gain.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You are selling half share to your brother.
You are correct in that your cost would be (79+35) = £114k and the gain on 50% transfer would be (150-114) = £36k.

You will claim gains annual exemption of £10,900 and the balance would be subject to CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of both depending on your total income.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you