How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Im wondering if I can claim back any taxes / claim a tax

This answer was rated:

I'm wondering if I can claim back any taxes / claim a tax reduction

Are you employed or self-employed? Do you complete annual tax returns?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there.


It's a bit complicated...


I'm employed (full-time) but I wasn't employed between July 2013-Feb2014.

I've never completed a tax return (but wondering if I should?).


My current annual salary is 19,000 (PAYE) and I travel to work by car and regularly visit clients away from my usual workplace, so need to pay parking fees, extra fuel etc.


I also pay tax for savings so wondered if that would be taken into account in regards XXXXX XXXXX income tax?



Do you get reimbursed for business mileage when you visit clients? If so, what rate does your employer pay you per mile?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks! Please be as specific as possible!

Hi again.

As an employee, you won't normally need to complete a tax return unless you have other sources of income which aren't taxed at source such as rental income or you are a higher rate taxpayer.

You need to have your tax for the 2013/14 tax year reviewed at the end of the tax year on 5 April. It may be that your are on the right tax code and that you have paid the correct amount of tax. You should be on a tax code of 944L. Your payslips may have the code on them. Your employer will tell you what tax code they have for you. Alternatively, call the tax office on the number here and ask them to check your tax code for you. If it needs changing, they will do it while you are on the phone. Any excess tax will be repaid through your salary unless your employer doesn't receive the tax code in time for the last payroll run for 2013/14. You should also shortly receive a tax code for 2014/15 which should be 1000L.

At the end of the tax year, call the tax office and ask for a form P810 to complete. You should disclose all your income in the form and send it to the tax office. The tax office will then calculate your tax position for 2013/14 and let you know where you stand, ie if you owe tax or are overpaid.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



So do you mean I should call the Tax Office at the end of this tax year (i.e. early April 2014) or the next (i.e. 2015)?


Also, could you tell me whether I'd be eligible to claim income tax credits (for the running tax year or the next) and whether I'm eligible for a tax relief in regards XXXXX XXXXX savings?

You should also make a claim for tax relief for business mileage you do in 2013/14, visiting clients, on a form P87. You can claim tax relief on 45 pence per mile for the first 10,000 business miles and 25 pence per mile for each business mile thereafter. Read about that here.

You can have your 2013/14 tax code checked now. As for the P810, you have to wait until the end of the tax year on 5 April 2014.

If you earn £19,000 per annum, you should be paying 20% tax on your bank interest. That is usually deducted at source by the bank.

As for tax credits, you can check your eligibility or otherwise here. The link to the calculator itself is near the bottom of the page.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much, this really helps!


And yes, I am paying 20% tax on my bank interests and they're deducted by my bank but I think I read somewhere that those deductions might be taken into account in regards XXXXX XXXXX tax. Is that not the case?

You will get credit for tax deducted from your bank interest and won't have any more tax to pay on that income as you are not a 40% taxpayer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What do you mean by "you will get credit for tax deducted by your bank interest"?


What does that refer to and if any action is required by me, what will that be?

If your savings account earns you £100 interest, £80 will be added to your account and the bank will pay £20 to HMRC, the tax office. As you are a 20% taxpayer, you will have no further tax to pay on bank interest as it has been paid for you, ie the bank took it off your £100 interest. You should declare your bank interest in the P810 along with your earnings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Will I still be able to fill in a P810 for the running tax year, i.e. 2012/2013?

There is nothing to stop you doing that. You have four years from the end of the relevant tax year to make a claim as you will read here.
TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for accepting my answer.