How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

both myself and my wife are pensioners. My wife does not get

This answer was rated:

both myself and my wife are pensioners. My wife does not get a full pension, i do and i also pay income tax can we use my wifes tax allowance(obviously unused) against my tax?


As of now, it is not possible for part or all of an unused personal allowance to be transferred between married couples or those in civil partnerships I'm afraid. If one or both of you was born before 6 April 1935, you can transfer unused married couple's allowance between you. You can read about that here.

From 6 April 2015, there are plans to allow a spouse or civil partner to transfer £1,000 of their personal allowance to their spouse or civil partner. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you