How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5152
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I was born in 1947 and my husband was born in 1930. He currently

This answer was rated:

I was born in 1947 and my husband was born in 1930. He currently receives a total of £10,367.68 annual pension with a tax allowance of £10,660 and £4,083. I receive a total R.Pension and NHS pension of £13,700 with tax allowance of £10,500. Can any of the married tax allowance be transferred to me and if so can it be backdated.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

As one of you were born before 6 Apr 1935, married couple's allowance is available.
Your husband can transfer any excess allowance to you by completing Form 575 which will save on tax between you. You can't backdate it to a previous tax year.

You can download Form 575 - notice of transfer of surplus income tax allowance here

You can also make an election for the next tax year 2014-15 by completing Form 18 - transferring the married couple's allowance and returning it to HMRC before 6 Apr 2014

You can download Form 18 here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know how much of the allowance is able to be transferred across, does my husband pay any tax?

Monica, thank you for your reply..

You say he receives a pension of 10,367 - this means he should not pay any tax ... please clarify what £4,083 relates to.

The maximum married couple's allowance for 2013-14 is £7,915 giving you a tax saving of (7,915 x 10%) = £791.50


Please use form R40 to make a claim for an earlier year .. no earlier than tax year 2009-10.

Put a tick on Box 10.6 on page 4.


Calim for tax year 2009-10 has to be made by 5 Apr 2014 ... refer to notes for completing form R40


You can download Form R40 here



Download notes to Form R40 here


Many thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou for being more specific, the £4,083. is on my husbands tax code notice as married couples allowance, does this mean we are already getting £3,000? sorry but I Have to go out now. can I come back for an answer later?


Monica, your husband is getting the married couple's allowance.

By completing the forms you can a
- transfer excess to you
- set the scene for future year
- claim any overpayment (by transferring married couple's allowance in previous years).

Please feel free to ccome back.

I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help, I will download forms and request transfer of excess allowance if any is due.

thank you once again



Thank you for your reply and the good words.

I hope the information is helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you