How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4786
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a self employed journalist (sole trader) and am taking

Customer Question

I am a self employed journalist (sole trader) and am taking an Masters in journalism. Are the fees for this claimable as a business expense
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

A moot point this; expenses of this kind must be wholly and exclusively for carrying on your business. As you are already in business HMRC may well take the view that your Masters, whilst useful, is not wholly necessary for you to conduct your business. Were you say an electrician and doing a course to service a new bit of kit that's quite another matter and allowable. You see the point.

You could try to claim, but I reckon your chances are fairy slim. You never know you know. I would write a letter to your tax office and run it across HMRC explaining how essential to your business this course is. You never know, they might be lenient and allow it.