How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14164
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have received a letter from Bidston Trust regarding the Tax

This answer was rated:

I have received a letter from Bidston Trust regarding the Tax disclosure program. As I am staying in my Families house Rent free, provided I renovate and maintain the property and pay all expenses. As advised by them I have contacted you as they suggest I may be liable to be taxed on this benefit.

Hi Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax expert here on Just Answer.


This is not a benefit - a benefit is when an employer provides additional money or monetary value - like free accommodation, company car etc along with employment



But this is family, and you are not their employee or are you?


I am shocked that a business handling tax disclosure has not idea about employee benefits and when it does not constitute this. Especially if

1) They are handling your tax disclosure and

2) Asking you to find out information for them



Perhaps you are best seeking support with a company more expert in their field?



Thanks Sam

Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you