How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am lending my daughter and partner 69k outright cash purchase

This answer was rated:

I am lending my daughter and partner 69k outright cash purchase for small house in NW England. I would like the property to be in their names. I will be liable for tax on repayment of loan however I would like to ensure that HMRC treat this as a loan and not a gift as far as my daughter and partner are concerned. I planned to ask solicitor to draw up agreement between us re the loan would this be sufficent or can you offer any other suggestions.
many thanks
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

An agreement between the parties clearing stating that the amount advanced is a loan and not a gift and also stipulating terms of repayment and interest chargeable would be sufficient for tax purposes.

if there is no interest payable, clearly state that it is interest free loan. You would be liable to income tax on only any interest received and not repayment of initial sum advanced.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.