How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

my son has filled in his tax on line and done it wrong as he

Customer Question

my son has filled in his tax on line and done it wrong as he was self employed working for someone else but hes made it look like hes an employer
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me how long your son worked for somone on a self-employed basis please. Was it just for a period between 6 April 2012 and 5 April 2013? What type of work was it? Does he have payslips ro some other record of hie earnings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he worked for about 10yrs for same employer as hod crrier and had pyslips that he kept they r saying he owes them about £7,000

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

rate Good

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
You don't need to rate my answer until I've provided you with one.

Has your son completed tax returns for the last ten years? Do his payslips show any tax deductions.or national insurance deductions? Is he registered in the Construction Industry Scheme? Did the tax office tell your son that he had completed the taxreturn incorrectly? How many tax years does the £7,000 cover?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no bcos tax and national insurance were taken before he received his wages yes he was registered no they said he'd been overpaid when he put in for a tax rebate this is for 2 or 3 yrs

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

If he was self-employed, he would not have national insurance deducted at source. If he is registered in the CIS his tax deductions will be 20% and should be shown on his payslips.

If you son is self-employed and he has put his earnings down as employment earnings then he needs to amend his 2013 tax return online. All he needs to do is to complete the self-employment pages and delete the employment pages, then submit the amended return. He also needs to complete the box for the 20% tax deductions made under the Construction Industry Scheme. There is a link in the online tax return specifically for an "amendment".

What worries me is that you appear to be saying that he has not been completing tax returns but he is self-employed. Anybody who is self-employed needs to complete a tax return every year. It may be that he was employed and now his "employer" is treating him as self-employed, his earnings could be so high that the 20% tax deductions don't cover his liability to tax and national insurance or there is some other reason that HMRC say he owes £7,000.

Without sight of the tax statements and any letters from HMRC it's difficult for me to say what the problem is. For that reason, your son should either call the tax office and ask them exactly what the problem is apart from his having completed a tax return incorrectly or to go to see a local accountant or tax adviser. His work mates will be able to recommend one. If he can find out what the problem is by calling HMRC then I'd be happy to comment further in the light of that.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.