How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5142
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I will soon be receiving a Public Service work based pension

Customer Question

I will soon be receiving a Public Service work based pension from New Zealand, it is classed as 'tax paid' by the NZ Tax Authority (this is because New Zealand gives no tax relief to pension contributions so tax is not levied on pension payments).
1. Will I have to pay UK Tax on this or does HMRC's principle of not taxing income twice apply?
2. If UK tax is unavoidable do you have any suggestions of how to deal with it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I have sought confirmation from HMRC technical section.. and I am advised that if pension/income is not taxable in New Zealand then it is not taxable in the UK under Double Taxation agreement.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.