How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My wife and I are registered as directors of our own small

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are registered as directors of our own small company but receive no salary, benefits or other payments as directors. We are both paid a monthly salary as employees of the company.

Would we therefore be liable for paying additional NI contributions over and above those we pay each month as employees?


Apart from there being different methods of the way NIC is calculated for directors and paid through the payroll, you will pay the same amount whether you are an employee or a director over a tax year. You would not set up a different payroll to pay yourselves as directors at the same time as running a payroll with yourselves as employees. The relevant box in your payroll software should be selected to tell it whether you are an employee or a director.

Take a look at the HMRC booklet CA44(2013) here for information on directors' NIC.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you