How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Can you advise me please, I am a 63 year old male who is semi

This answer was rated:

Can you advise me please, I am a 63 year old male who is semi retired, I earn £10k a year has a consultant and I get rent from a property I let £750 PCM, over the last 5years my self assessment form has been completed by an accountant who was my spouse, we are no longer on speaking terms and I have no idea how to complete a tax return, can you help please ? Ron Coaten MRAC
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if you get a Paper Tax Return or do you file it online

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I cannot answer your question because has I explained my partner who was my spouse and who is an accountant did my tax returns, how she did them I don't know, what I do know is that if there is any mail delivered for me at my previous address I do not get it forwarded to me, thank you.
Ronald, thank you for your frank reply.

I would like you to consider all these as a way forward...

Contact HMRC Self Assessment Office and request them to change your mailing address to where you are resident. At the same time, you can ask if you get a paper tax return to complete or is your tax return filed online. You can be truthful and say your accountant used to file it for you in the past and you are unsure.

Contact details for HMRC Self Assessment

I presume you know what your Unique Tax Reference number is (UTR No.) It is a 10 digit number. In case you don't, HMRC would be able to tell you if you have one or not but they would not disclose the number to you. Instead they will post it to you. Make sure you have given them the correct address to avoid non receipt of it.

After 6 Apr 2014, I suggest you download a blank tax return from HMRC site and I will provide the link here. Are you a self-employed Consultant. If so, you would also have to download the supplementary pages for self employment in addition to the pages for Property income.

If you decide to file your tax return online in future then you will have to register for online filing. The link for registration is here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you