How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi Im full time employed and recently started a part time

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm full time employed and recently started a part time business ( mobile DJ) - I have registered for self assesment.. I started collecting equipment and CDs a couple of years ago.. I have records from 1 jan 2103 in can I bring the value of these into the business as a startup cost. For 1st Jan 2013 to date I estimate £9000 costs £3000 income and it's year end soon. I started trading & registered in December 2013
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You can bring these CDs and equipment into your business even if you bought them before you started trading. The are deemed to have been acquired on your first day of trading. However, they are not set against your profit in your Profit and Loss (P&L) account. These items attract capital allowances. It is these allowances which are set against profit outside the P&L. The book keeping entries would be debit Plant & Machinery, credit cash/bank.

In fact, the result is the same as under the capital allowance system the Annual Investment Allowance is currently set at 100%.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.