How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a pensioner with an annual income of almost 18000 pounds

Customer Question

I am a pensioner with an annual income of almost 18000 pounds after I have deducted the 10500 allowance. Should I be paying tax.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Yes you should, if all of the £18,000 (after the £10,500 is deducted) is considered as taxable income,
Perhaps you could list the sources of income and advise how much each source is ( you can just advise state pension, or annuity, or former employment pension, or employment or rental income etc, if you would prefer this, rather than give the actual name of the payer)
I can then establish which incomes would be liable to tax and those that might not be, and clarify the tax position to you and any action you may need to take