How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

hi I,ve been paye all my life, now semi- retired been

This answer was rated:

I,ve been paye all my life, now semi- retired been dogged with underpaid tax demands for previous years which as soon as I get paid (by my coding) they find another amount.
are they always correct or is it worth consulting an acct.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I assume that by 'they' you mean our good friends HMRC! HMRC are notorious in my experience at making assumptions usually wrong and based on spurious grounds. I remember one year trying to get my tax code correct to allow for my State Pension whilst the ignorant civil servant, with whom I was in correspondence, was basing his entire argument on the assumption that I was on a basic pension totally oblivious of State Secondary pensions, SERPS and other add ons to which I was entitled and of which he had been informed! This year, for the first time in 20 years they have actually notified me of a 100% correct code for 14/15!

In my experience you just need to keep hammering away at your tax office drawing attention to the correct position and batting back their incorrect responses. If you employ an accountant it will cost you a minimum of a hundred quid plus VAT and probably more for him to try to do the same thing second hand and instead of writing to HMRC you will be doing ditto to him to keep him informed of changes. It's just a case of keeping going I regret; it's the cheapest, if boring, solution. Make sure, of course, that their assumptions are correct and refute them if they are not. Just stick to the facts.

I do hope I have been of help to you in this matter. It may cost you a few bob in 50p stamps to escape Benjamin Franklin's dictum that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


like you i am drawing my state pension with serps plus 2 small occupational pensions all of which hmrc are aware of plus working part time for my last employer whilst i dont object to paying the tax due on these amounts its the under payment restriction amounts(which varies with every letter) which wipes out my tax free allowance which they will not exactly explain merely saying "ask your employer"

he states they can only deduct the tax according to my code!

i have been 2.5 years semi rtd. arguing with them and with full retirement looming this year looks like i,m destined to spend my retirement persuing this thanks for your

help anyway

dave m

Hi Dave


Your part time employer is quite right he can only operate such codes as supplied by HMRC. However if you have a later code from HMRC you can show him the notification form and he can operate this on a month one basis. Doesn't help though if codes are changing as often as one changes one's socks! One wonders exactly why HMRC are operating in such a nit picking manner when there is clear evidence of massive tax evasion elsewhere. It is high time a policy of sensible employment of manpower were implemented!


However,, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day! Just keep plugging away at HMRC. That 'ask your employer' was a classic at trying so hard not to get your tax code correct by shifting the blame!


Regards Keith

Thank you for your support.