How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have a pension earned whilst working overseas for the United

Customer Question

I have a pension earned whilst working overseas for the United Nations. It is paid monthly in US dollars but credited to my UK bank in sterling at current exchange rates. My question is, is this pension subject to UK tax laws?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

AS this money is remitted to the UK then yes it is subjected to UK tax consideration and should be declared to HMRC, and if you are a UK citizen (which I assume by the way you word your question) then it remains liable to UK tax whether remitted into the UK or not.
If you suffer any USA tax, then this can be claimed as a credit against the UK tax position, as we have a double taxation treaty with the USA.

You should advise HMRC of this pension.


Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paul

Do let me know if you had any more follow up questions, and how you got on advising HMRC of the pension