How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

We live and own our house in Portugal whilst still having our

Customer Question

We live and own our house in Portugal whilst still having our home in Scotland and paying UK taxes. Although I have provided my UK pension details & copy P60's showing tax deductions, I am being asked for a "Modelo Internacional" certificate from the UK, have you heard of this ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Are you being asked for this document by the Portugal tax authorities? Do you pay any tax in Portugal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and we also pay Council tax, Water & Electric rates.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

I suspect that you have been taxed under the non-habitual residents scheme in Portugal which you can read about here and here. This means that your non-Portugal source income is generally not taxed in Portugal so long as it is taxed in the source country, the UK in your case. The Portugal tax authorities are probably asking you to obtain a UK tax residence certificate from HM Revenue & Customs in the UK to certify that you are paying UK tax on your UK source income.

You can apply for such a certificate online here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.