How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hello, I´m writing you because I just recevied the new tax

This answer was rated:


I´m writing you because I just recevied the new tax code notification from the HM revenue and custom.

Apparently my new tax code is DO. I made some research and it seems that this tax code is at 40% tax and is usuallly used for people having more than one source of income which is not my case.

I work as doctor for the NHS since 2012 when I arrived to the UK and was on tax code OT until now as it was my first job...

Maybe this could affect: I was on a full time contract until November 2013 and switch to zero hour contract in december 2013, which means I earn only what I work for.

My question is: Could it be that this DO tax code is a mistake and should I contact them to have it change ?

Also what should be the correct Tax code in my situation ? (I don´t have other income)

Important information:

My net salary is around 36000 pound per year and I´m actually residing out of the UK.
I only come to work 10 days a month at the hospital

Thanks for your help

Which country do you live in? Are you a national of that country?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm from Spain and. I'm reside there since November 2013

If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area which you are, you should not be on a tax code of D0 which as you have found out means that you have tax deducted at 40% as you are entitled to a personal allowance to offset against your UK earnings. A normal tax code for the 2014/15 tax year for a person under 65 years old is 100L. The personal allowance is £10,000 for that tax year. You should call the tax office on the number here to have your code changed.

In spite of the fact that you don't live in the UK, Article 15 of the double tax treaty between the UK and Spain here allows the UK to tax your earnings but you should be entitled to deduct that tax from any tax liability you may have on the same income in Spain.

Take a look here for information on employment and tax in the UK for non-UK residents.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Your tax code for 2014/15 should be 1,000L, not 100L.


For 2013/14, you may have paid too much tax so you should ask the tax office for a P810 to complete so that your tax position for the year can be reviewed and any tax overpaid repaid to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Toni, thank you very much for your fast answer. Much appreciated .

To finish could you please just let me know what should I exactly tell them in order to justify my tax code change .

I had a look at The online form and it seem quiet complex.

Do you recommend to give them a call first ?

Thanks for your help and kind regards.

I'm not sure which online form you are referring to.

Call the tax office first, tell them your situation, ie that you work 10 days per month for the NHS and that you live in Spain, a country that is in the European Economic Area which entitles you to a personal allowance for 2012/13 of £8,105, for 2013/14 of £9,440 and for 2014/15 of £10,000. Ask them to amend your tax code for 2014/15 assuming that is the one that has been changed to D0 and to review your tax position for each of the 2012/13 and 2013/14 tax years. See the allowances here.

You may be overpaid for 2012/13 and 2013/14 so ask them if they will look at that. They may ask you to complete a tax return or a form P810 for each year.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you