How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4782
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

The person who lives next to me has had an extension built

This answer was rated:

The person who lives next to me has had an extension built onto his property.
He also has a conservatory and sells second hand cars from home .
He also owns a field opposite my home where he stores two caravans and several
secondhand cars.As far as i know, none of this is known to the local Council Rates
Department. He also has a domestic garage at his property.The property is a semi
detatched house.

I have a three bedroom detatched bungalow, yet I pay £650 a year more than he does.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You should check with the local authority planning department as to whether he has planning permission for these activities, although some small extensions do not require this. In England, but not in Scotland, the storage or parking of caravans is another activity requiring planning permission. The storage and sale of cars on a regular basis is also frowned upon as it constitutes a change of use. If necessary the Local Authority can take enforcement action against this person.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX should also consult the rating department of the local authority and also complain to the District Valuer, an HMRC official, that you think next door's banding is incorrect and that you believe business rates are not being charged. Have a care, however, many small businesses are exempt from rates to encourage commercial activity.

On the whole the planning department is your best bet to attempt to resolve this problem.

I do hope I have shown you a way forward.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.