How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14199
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My name Roger. I retired @ 65, after several months i was requested

Customer Question

My name Roger. I retired @ 65, after several months i was requested to restart work on self employed basis for a large generating company. I have completed the work they required, this being a twelve month period. I would be grateful of any information concerning my tax liability for the year 2013. I have two small private pensions which are taxed at source and my state pension.
I have tried wading through HMRC web site but don't seem to be able to come up with any thing relevent to my situation. I would grateful of any advice, best regards roger.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.
Hi Roger

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

You should have registered for self employment once this work began, so after each relevant 5th April you could file a self assessment tax return to declare this self employed income less expenses - along with all other income (such as your state pension and two small private pensions)

This would enable HMRC to determine what tax was due on this additional Income (there would be no national insurance as you are of state pension age)

So can you advise when this began in 2013 - then I can advise further