How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4770
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

hi i am selling my company as a whole shareholding to a bigger

This answer was rated:

hi i am selling my company as a whole shareholding to a bigger company and will get a small percentage of that company in consideration.
That company is currently private but will go to IPO in the next 2 years whereby my shares should be worth considerably more.
If so do i qualify for entrepreneurs roll over relief for when i cash in the shares
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

The HMRC information sheet on roll over relief indicates that when an asset is disposed of and replaced by an asset costing the same or more then the relief may apply. Your disposal to the new company will be tax neutral. so is only when you ultimately dispose of the new company when it goes IPO will a gain be generated. To claim entrepreneur's relief you have to be in at the ground floor, so to speak. If the bigger company is starting up too then there should be no problem. If however, it has been in existence for some time it may not qualify.

I would be inclined to seek advice from HMRC on this matter. If you are happy to invest anyway there will be no skin off your nose either way, but at least you will be forewarned and it will only cost you a 53p stamp!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.