How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14192
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi Sam, just thought, we have bank accounts in the UK, would

This answer was rated:

Hi Sam, just thought, we have bank accounts in the UK, would that change his residency status, even though we have not lived there since mid April 2007.
Thank you

Thanks for your question and asking for me

No, not at all, even if all the income from abroad had been paid into the UK bank account, it would still remain not liable to tax, due to your husbands non residency in the UK.

The non residency is based on physical presence, and as your husband took employment abroad, that lasted at least a full tax year, during which visits back to the UK exceeded no more than 90 days (on a pro rata basis) this income earned whilst abroad remains not liable to tax.

It would just have been the rental income (that was declared to HMRC and any interest paid on the bank accounts - but then he would have remained entitled to personal allowances to offset against these UK based incomes.



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your quick reply Sam.

You are very welcome