How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi There - I am operating a UK Ltd company and we are doing

Customer Question

Hi There -

I am operating a UK Ltd company and we are doing business with a US based company. In order for them to pay our invoice - they require us to submit a form to the IRS. The purpose of this is to "certify the vendor’s tax status as a foreign or domestic vendor in compliance with IRS guidelines".

They will not advise however on which of these forms i should be completing as a UK Ltd company (only one employee - me)

So i need to know which form is the correct one to submit. Here are the options:

W-8EXP - 

(Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for United States Tax

W-8ECI - 

(Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim that Income is Effectively Connected with the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the U.S.)

W-8BEN -
(Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting)

W-8IMY -
(Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain U.S. Branches for U.S.
Tax Withholding)

8233 -
(Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent [and Certain Dependent] Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual)

If you have experience with IRS forms - it would be incredibly useful to find out which one to fill in :)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I would suggest the W-8ECI appropriate. Any tax with held ny the States will be allowable as a tax credit against UK Corporation Tax liabilities. The same may be the case with some State Taxes also as the UK has Double Taxation Treaties with several States as well as the USA itself.