How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi I have worked all my live can I get a taxrefund

This answer was rated:

Hi I have worked all my live can I get a taxrefund


Are you employed or self-employed? What has made you ask the question now given that you have worked "all your life"? If you are employed, do you have your P60 or final payslip for the 2013/14 tax year and/or the 2012/13 tax year? If so, let me know the gross pay and tax figures and your date of birth.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Employed yes I have a p60 from my lest job but as I have just moved it in a box some were
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have p60 from 2009 to 2012


The fact that you have worked all your life does not of itself mean you are entitled to a tax repayment. If the tax code which is operated against your earnings for a tax year is correct, then you should pay the right amount of tax but that will only definitely be the case if it has been correct from the start of the tax year and your employer has operated it correctly.

If you find your P60s from the last few tax years, try putting the gross pay into the calculator here and check what tax it tells you should have paid against the tax shown on your P60s. Alternatively, call the tax office on the number here and ask them to issue you with a P800 for each of the previous four or five tax year. A P800 is a tax calculation which shows how much tax you should have paid for any tax year. However, you should be aware that if you owe tax, the tax office will want you to pay it and it may be better to try the online calculator first.

Assuming you are under 65 you are entitled to a personal allowance of £10,000 for 2014/15 which means that the first £10,000 of your income is not taxed. The tax code should be 1000L assuming you have no employment benefits such as a company car or membership of a private medical scheme funded by your employer. Your employer will tell you what tax code they have for you for the 2014/15 tax year if you ask them. The tax office will also tell you what tax code they issued for 2014/15.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you