How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am moving into a new home with my partner. She sold her

This answer was rated:

I am moving into a new home with my partner.

She sold her residential home in July 2013. We have just bought a new home in February 2014 in our joint names. She is the sole occupier at the moment.

I now intend to move in with her after selling my residential home which will go up for sale imminently.

Are there any tax implications for me?


Assuming that you have lived in your own home for the entirety of your ownership of it to date and you sell it within 18 months of moving out of it, you will have no Capital Gains Tax to pay. Take a look at the HMRC helpsheet HS283 for more information on the main residence and CGT.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many Thanks that answers all my questions



Thanks. Enjoy your new home.