How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am married and I have owned a house in my own right which

This answer was rated:

I am married and I have owned a house in my own right which we live in - it is solely in my name. My wife has just bought a property for her to live in as her job takes her away from the house she shares with me. Is she liable for CGT on this house? She has never owned a property before?
Thank you
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. Husband and wife are separate persons in UK tax law although there are overlaps which do not concern us in this situation.

Your house is your sole or main domestic residence which you occupy so Private Residence Relief applies and relieves you of 100% of any capital gain on disposal.

Your wife's new house is her sole or main domestic residence which she occupies so the same relief apples to her.

The whole ball game changes of course if one starts letting out properties, but that is clearly not the case here so outside the scope of this question.

I do hope I have put your mind at rest on this matter.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much - very helpful.
Pleased to be of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the site.
Thank you for your support



My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am another of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer


Please note that married couples can only have one main residence between them - so you cannot attract a right to private residence relief on both properties.



See link here the helpsheet for private residence relief and scroll to Page 3 and read under the heading Only and Main Residence -


you can then see further into this section it clearly states If you are married or in a civil partnership and you are not separated from your spouse or civil partner, you can have only one main residence between you.


Of course there are elections that can be made to elect another property within a 2 year period of purchase, but this still only considers one property at any one time.



Do feel free to ask any follow up questions, and if you wish to me answer, just indicate as such