How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My husband is German and receives a pension from Germany, where

This answer was rated:

My husband is German and receives a pension from Germany, where we live part of the time. We are considering moving to the UK on a permanent basis. As a full resident, would my husband be liable for taxation in England as well as in Germany?

UK military pensions paid to UK nationals who live outside the UK are, with a few exceptions, taxable only in the UK under the "government service" rules which also cover civil service pensions and some teaching pensions.

According to Article 18 of the UK/Germany double tax treaty here, pensions paid as a result of service to the German government will be taxable in Germany only unless the recipient is both a resident of the UK and a UK national in which case the pension will be taxable in the UK only. Therefore, as your husband is German his military pension will almost certainly only be taxable in Germany. You ought to confirm that with the pension payer.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you