How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi there, I have a question about becoming an expat in Saudi

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I have a question about becoming an expat in Saudi Arabia (will be there for several years). I realise I will become non-resident if I stay outside the UK for at least one tax year. However, my wife will remain in a rented property in the UK as my two daughters will continue to go to private school here, and I will support them by sending funds. I don't plan to visit the UK more than what is allowed under residency rules by HRMC. How will HRMC view my wife/children connections in terms of a potential UK tax liability? Thanks. XXXXX

Hi Michael



Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.



As long as your visits to the UK do not exceed more than 90 days each tax year, then you pass one of the automatic tests with the new residency rules, which will allow you to earn all your income abroad, free of UK tax, even if you remit any or all of this to the UK for your wife and children's use.


They in turn will have no UK tax liability on receipt of this money, as its not deemed to be taxable income they are receiving. (They have not earned or created an income from it)


So your ties to the UK do not need to be considered (these only are looked at when the automatic and the UK residency positions are not met)


Do feel free to ask any follow up questions


Thanks Sam

Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you