How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

With regard to Capital Gains Tax - Can I get Business Asset

This answer was rated:

With regard to Capital Gains Tax - Can I get Business Asset Rollover Relief if I use the proceeds of the sale of a flat I have previously and for several years rented out on 6 month Rental Agreements to buy a property that I rent out for holiday lets. I do not intend to use this holiday lets property for my own holidays as I shall be running it as a business.

I'm afraid that you won't qualify for business asset rollover relief as the asset you are selling, a flat let on shorthold tenancies, is deemed not to be a business asset, at least in the hands of an individual. Under current rules, both the asset being sold and the asset being acquired have to be business assets. You can read about business asset rollover relief here.

There has been a case recently which had muddied the waters somewhat and you can read about that here. HMRC is considering an appeal.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you