How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am self employed and have recently had a RTA and been signed

This answer was rated:

I am self employed and have recently had a RTA and been signed off work by the doctor due to injurys, am I entitled to any form of benefits as I am strugling to pay bills & my mortage. Please advise?

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You may be entitled to Employment Support Allowance (ESA) while you are off sick. Put ESA into any decent search engine and the Government web site on the subject will come up. As self employed you have no entitlement to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

The second page of the guidance tells you how to claim, this can be done by telephone using an 0800 number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Information given ok but insuficiant and being told to ring an 0800 number but not given the number is XXXXX helpful.


I have been to see my doctor and have signed certificates of non fitness to work and my wife is struggling to pay the bills on her wages alone.


I need clear advise on how to proceed before I face maybe loosing my house or not able to pay bills and get behind on such things as my tax bill for this year.

On the contrary, look on the Government web site I told you. That gives a whole ramp of contact details. It also tells you what data will be needed to make the claim. It is pointless you telephoning without the information to hand.

Look at that web site, get the information you will need, telephone and make the claim. It also tells you how to claim by form as an alternative and gives you s downloadable specimen
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support. I do hope you are successful.