How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14192
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My works pension is £9176 per annum my OAP is soon to be £131

This answer was rated:

My works pension is £9176 per annum my OAP is soon to be £131 per week. I have £8K savings in a NSI bond.....4 years ago. I rent my property and am single. I haven't received a tax form for four years is this normal.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As long as when you advise that you rent your property, that you mean you pay rent for this property (rather than receive rental income due to owning a property)

Your affairs are very straight forward - as you have your works pension, and a state pension.
Your state pension will be deducted from your tax free personal allowances (as its a taxable income, but tax cannot be deducted from it directly) leaving any balance of allowances to use against your works pension.

The NSI bond - if these are premium bonds, then any pay outs are tax free - and if its Income bonds then I imagine you are getting your interest WITHOUT the deduction of tax, and then you should be declaring this income to HMRC as tax will be due.

let me know if these are Income Bonds, and I can then advise what action you should take to alert HMRC


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is a fixed rate bond taken out over 3 years....


Thanks for your response

Is tax deducted from the income paid out ? As there are so many fixed rates bonds, is this limed within an ISA ?
Please advise further - if you are unsure that you can check with the documentation you would have been provided with or contact National Savings and ask what type of income this generates and whether tax is deducted at source.

I can then advise further

Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you