How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

i have resently inherited a house worth around £250k from my

This answer was rated:

i have resently inherited a house worth around £250k from my mother. I am living in rented having sold my home 8months ago to look after mum. I do not particularly like mums house and would like to sell and buy something more suitable. Am i going to be subject to capital gains bearing in mind it is my sole property?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

If you have resided in that house after your mother died you will be able to claim Private Residence Relief and not be subject to CGT.

Does your work preclude you from living in your mother's old house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, mum has only very recently passed away and I am living as stated in a rented house. At this moment her house is unoccupied. However,when the conveyancing is done it appears from other sites that as this is my sole "owned" property the only CGT that would be liable is any increase in value since mum died? - is that correct?


What is the length of time I would need to reside there for it not to be subject to CGT?

Correct, it would be valued for probate and any gain would be calculated from that. Remember you have an Annual Exempt Allowance of 11.1K which would reduce your liability considerably.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX this is a moot point. The general consensus is that it must be for at least three months. There is a concession, the last 18 months do not count, you are deemed to reside for that period (it used to be 3 years) to get Private Residence Relief. The year of sale does not count also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Sorry to be a pain but if I lived there from when mum dies (30th March) until (say) october would tis comply if I then sold it?

You should have no problem and be entitled to Private Residence Relief which would relieve you of any CGT liability.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you - thats what I needed to understand!

Pleased to be of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.