How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

How do I arrange to use £1000. of my husbands unused tax free

This answer was rated:

How do I arrange to use £1000. of my husband's unused tax free income
My name isXXXXX 2 Rosevale Antrim, BT41 1HA
Tax ref. 951/W71943 National Insurance number HM 369144C

My husband's name isXXXXX of same address.
Mae Clark

The ability for one spouse to transfer up to £1,000 or 10% of their personal allowance to their spouse does not come into effect until 6 April 2015 as you can read here and here (see the last but one paragraph). The fine detail as to how taxpayers will be able to do this has yet to be decided upon but I would imagine there will be a form to complete which will probably be available either by calling the tax office or by downloading it from the internet.

You should look on the HMRC website as we get closer to the end of the current tax year on 5 April 2015. I would expect any form to be on the HMRC site sometime before the end of the tax year.

If you or your husband were born before 6 April 1935, you may be able to claim some of the married couples' allowance if it is not all used by your husband. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you