How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi, I am a Commercial Yachtsman and consequently I work abroad

Customer Question

I am a Commercial Yachtsman and consequently I work abroad for the majority of the year returning home 2-3 times a year, I own no property in the UK.

My current contract is aboard a Malta flagged vessel and my contract of employment is with a UK registered company 'Dharma Marine LTD', my employer is deducting a percentage of my salary each month and has advised me this is being paid to cover NI contributions, my questions are is this necessary and is there any way I can check if these payments are being received by the inland revenue as I have never received a pay-slip.


Jon Adams
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jon, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

There is a legal requirement for UK individuals and organisations to provide a pay slip setting out wages and deductions at each payment. Report your employers to your tax office and they can be fined for these breaches.

Have a look at HMRC (Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise were combined some years ago) Information Sheet 'Checking your National Insurance contributions record' on the web. This explains the whole process of finding out if NI is actually being paid.

Deductions of notional NI are a regular racket, a Tom Tiddler's ground for wholesale theft and exploitation of employees. Your firm may well be doing the right thing, but check on them. If they are not then report these antics to the police. Also sue them in the County Court for the return of these deductions if they are not being properly rendered to the authorities. Instruct a local solicitor to act on your behalf as you are away so much.

I do hope I have been of some help to you with your problem.