How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

i owe tax and cant pay my business folded because of heart

This answer was rated:

i owe tax and cant pay my business folded because of heart problem

my wife owns the house we live in ive been told hmrc can sell her house to collect money

once again i do not own the house deeds in her name only

i was sole trader she was not in business
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Why should your wife sell her house and make herself homeless to settle your debts? Tell HMRC you have not got any money to pay them and if they push then go for a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement and it they won't play ball then declare bankruptcy. Your wife's possessions cannot be touched, you and your wife are separate legal persons and there is no reason why she should be beggared on your account.

Why do you think that in some communities the family house was always in the wife's name? It is for that very reason. Remember Moyshe Dayaan's quip of what would he do if Israel lost the Six Day War, 'Why, start another war in the wife's name!

You should seek independent legal advice on this subject without delay.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.