How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4960
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am 79 and I have 7 grandchildren. When each was born I started

This answer was rated:

I am 79 and I have 7 grandchildren. When each was born I started from income saving £20 initially, then £25 a month into a Unit Trust (now ICVC) in my name, but labelled with child's initials. The intention was to build up a sum of money to give each grandchild on their 18th birthday. Three of these have been paid - between £10k and £11k - two of them in USA. Four have yet to be paid. I have kept the parents fully informed throughout. Please confirm that these transfers qualify as 'gifts out of income' and how do I record them on my annual self-assessment?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You may make gifts of up to 3K per annum outside the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) envelope. If you go over this limit the excess becomes a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET). PETs run off over 5 years to zero. Even if you go above the 3K I thunk you will agree that a PET kicking in is unlikely. Your gifts at 25 x 12 x 7 = 2100 are below the annual allowance so there are no CGT implications.

The income from those trusts until you pass them to the children are your income, but as you have designated them with the children's initials it becomes their income.

They do not require reporting, but you are advised to retain records to cover yourself in the unlikley event of some future enquiry.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.

There is an error in my answer though. PETs run off over 7 years, not 5, sorry!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for the correction. I have just submitted my annual self-assessment return and did not mention the gifts. Incidentally the return assessed an overpayment of over £2500.
Pleased to be of assistance.