How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Hi _I have a property which Im currently renting due to having

Customer Question

Hi _I have a property which I'm currently renting due to having temp. accommodation included in my seasonal position - due to the nature of rental contracts I'm unable to access my property for the 'out of season' months (November-end Feb) and therefore have to pay for accommodation - am I able to claim this money against tax? thanks - Helen B
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the cost of your accommodation because you are not incurring an additional expense. The rent would need to be attributable to business travel and then a deduction can be given for the cost.
I sincerely wish I could advise differently but, accommodation expenses would need to be in the course of your work to be deducted.