How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi, Ive been on a career break from my uk based, civil service

This answer was rated:

I've been on a career break from my uk based, civil service job, where I pay my tax under the PAYE system. I've been working as a seafarer where I qualify for 100% tax exemption, as I'm out of the country for 180 days or more per year.
When I return to my uk based job after spending over 180 days in the current tax year overseas, will I still qualify for tax exemption for the remainder of the tax year even though I'll no longer be a seafarer?
Thanks in advance.



I'm afraid not.


The Seafarer's Earnings Deduction is a tax relief specifically aimed at those working on ships as you have been doing. When you re-commence your civil service job, you will pay tax on your earnings as you did before you took a career break.


I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you