TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

Hi, Ive been on a career break from my uk based, civil service

I've been on a career break from my uk based, civil service job, where I pay my tax under the PAYE system. I've been working as a seafarer where I qualify for 100% tax exemption, as I'm out of the country for 180 days or more per year.
When I return to my uk based job after spending over 180 days in the current tax year overseas, will I still qualify for tax exemption for the remainder of the tax year even though I'll no longer be a seafarer?
Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid not.

The Seafarer's Earnings Deduction is a tax relief specifically aimed at those working on ships as you have been doing. When you re-commence your civil service job, you will pay tax on your earnings as you did before you took a career break.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.