How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4795
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

why as my tax reference no changed from 297p to174t

Customer Question

why as my tax reference no changed from 297p to174t I now pay more tax why is this? My national insurance no is XXXX XX XXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.



This site has no connection with HM Revenue & Customs so I cannot look at your tax code to see why the change has occurred, However, if you wish me to, I may be able to help you work out why there has been a code change if you give me a little more information. If you would like that, let me know and I will ask you some questions about your circumstances.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
seams like you cannot answer basic questions I am very dissatisfied with your answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I deal with tax code questions nearly every day on this site so I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.


The reason I asked you the question I did is that some people who come to this site think we are the tax office and they give their NI number which is not a good idea to do on a website in any event. When they find out we are not the tax office they don't want to go any further so I was just trying to save your time and mine. Whoever deals with this question will have to ask for more information but I am going to let somebody else do that and opt out myself as I only ever ask necessary questions so that I can give an accurate answer.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I note that HMRC have changed your tax code suffix from a P to a T.

Here is the HMRC advice [edited] on tax code suffixes:

P - maximum Personal Allowance for persons born between 6 April 1938 and 5 April 1948.

The T code is used in cases where HMRC do not want the employer to raise a code by the standard amount (when there is a general tax code change in year affecting the whole population). They are codes HMRC have to review before the employer is told to make any changes.

There must be some reason for your code change. If. for example, your date of birth does not fall between 6 April 1938 and 5 April 1948 then a P code should never have been allocated at all. Your date of birth should be known to HMRC, it forms part of the first page of your annual assessment. This is one area where an error may have occurred and your tax office is correcting this and substituting a T code.

The tax code change is a matter you must take up with your tax office whose address you can find on your Notice of Coding which you will receive towards the start of every tax year and again throughout a tax year if the code changes. Please note that it is not unknown for tax code changes to be notified to the employee or the employee only (both should receive them at the same time) one or other being omitted. You will need to quote your NI number to your tax office. Ask them to explain why the change has taken place.

I do hope I have been able to throw some light on the difficulties you are experiencing.