How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14198
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am German, live and work in UK, have a UK employment contract

This answer was rated:

I am German, live and work in UK, have a UK employment contract and pay tax here. My ex-wife and children live in Germany and I support them financially - they have no other source of income. Two questions:
1. Is it possible to get tax credit for the alimentation of either wife or children or both?
2. If I would rent an apartment in Germany as a second home to be able to see my kids frequently, can I get tax credsit for this?
Hi Mike

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

First the costs for the alimentation of your wife and child, this is not an allowable expense that the UK tax system recognises, but a personal expense, so there is no tax relief that can be claimed for this.

Then you ask after tax credits. These are sometimes permitted to those who have families out of the UK (but within the EU, which Germany is)but this is restricted by your level of income and would have no bearing of whether you rent an apartment or not (as this then would be a housing benefit consideration, of which you would not be entitled to, as the property and the claimants both have to be situated in the UK)
But for tax credits, this is means tested and it may be that your level of income is in excess. But as the level varies according to each individuals circumstances (level of pay, amount of children etc) I have added a link here for the tax credit calculator, so you can enter the relevant information to establish if there is a potential claim.

If you have a valid claim then get in touch with the Tax Credit helpline for a claim pack on
Telephone: 0345(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Textphone: 0345(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you