How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17645
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My mom have VAT receipt and also with stamps on it, but she

This answer was rated:

My mom have VAT receipt and also with stamps on it, but she was in hurry at that time and didn't get the money back at that time. Is it possible she mail me all the receipts and her passport so that in can claim for her instead?
If your mom was visiting from another country she may be entitled to a refund of the VAT on goods she bought from shops that offer Tax Free Shopping (also known as the Retail Export Scheme).
Tax Free Shopping allows travellers leaving the European Union (EU) to get a VAT refund on goods they buy here and take home. It cannot be used for services.
This is required to be completed before leaving unfortunately. She must have shown her goods, receipts and her refund form to UK customs staff at the airport she was leaving from. This is why one must make sure they arrive at the airport early so that they have plenty of time to deal with the customs staff before their departure.
This is not always possible but the reporting and request now would not be possible.
I wish I could advise that your mom could correct this now.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your reply.

she have the receipts and stamps from the the UK custom, but she didn't have time to collect cash.

If she did the custom requirements then she will use one of these methods:
post the form back to the retailer to arrange payment of the refund or
post the form back to a commercial refund company to arrange payment of the refund