How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My employer requires me to fly abroad for work. My employer

This answer was rated:

My employer requires me to fly abroad for work. My employer reimburses the economy air fare, but I often pay for myself to travel business class. The trips are only for work. Is the additional expense incurred deductible as an employment expense on my self assessment return?

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

No I am afraid it isn't, as your employer makes good the out of pocket expense you would have incurred, and the cost to upgrade is a personal choice, and not in line with expenses incurred through the performance of your duties.

So you cannot claim this additional cost.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you