How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4786
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My UK limited company has been asked for a declaration of

This answer was rated:

My UK limited company has been asked for a 'declaration of residence' by a Spanish company that we invoiced in 2012 and will be invoicing again this year. They provided an example declaration from Holland for a Dutch supplier of theirs, but is it possible to obtain such a document from the UK tax authorities?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Holland's systems are an irrelevance. Your invoice presumably quoted the Registered Office of your company. Normal wording would be 'Registered in England, Registered Office ABC' or something similar. No such document as a 'declaration of residence' exists in the English tax system and the Spanish company should be so advised.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Keith. That is rather what I thought too!


Tell the Spanish company to take a running jump, more diplomatically, of course!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support. A colleague reminds me of a problem for a Spanish company viz


'The Spain company needs this to stay compliant with their own reporting. They could in the future refuse to do business with the UK company unless they can show the residency is not under Spain tax.' However it does not detract from my original opinion that as far as UK taxation is concerned this procedure is unusual to say the least. However HMRC does provide a way round this and you should look at their information sheet INTM162160 which provides a solution to the problem.

Sorry not to have picked this up earlier.